[ Register Online ] [ Brochure ]
The environment today is inundated with information and communication technologies that provide easy access to information. With ample amount of information available at our finger tips, users tend to get lost when seeking information and become selective in their choice of information providers. Businesses and organizations provide a lot of information that the users can avail instantly through their computers. However, to retain users for an organization is a challenge as there are multiple players trying to compete for the users’ attention. To counter this, many businesses across the world have recognized the need for usability studies.Usability studies of websites provide a user-centered approach in the design and evaluation of websites at every stage of the development cycle. Feedback from the user is solicited early on in the development process and recommendations are sent to the development team. The focus is hence shifting to the user from the technology.
Usability , as defined by the Usability Professionals Association, refers to “the degree to which something - software, hardware or anything else - is easy to use and a good fit for the people who use it.” Jakob Nielsen, the usability guru, has defined usability by the 5 quality components of - Learnability: How easy is it for users to accomplish basic tasks the first time they encounter the design; Efficiency: Once users have learned the design, how quickly can they perform tasks; Memorability: When users return to the design after a period of not using it, how easily can they reestablish proficiency; Errors: How many errors do users make, how severe are these errors, and how easily can they recover from the errors; Satisfaction: How pl easant is it to use the design. Though the need for usability is well recognized by organizations, managers may overlook or delay usability studies owing to issues related to time, resource and budget. Discount usability studies provide a way for businesses to conduct user-centered designing of their websites within the constraints of the business.
The objective of the program is-
- To provide insights to the importance of usability studies of websites and applications for organizations.
- To help organizations conduct their own discount usability studies of the websites.
- To provide a hands on experience with usability tools and methods.
Participants will be able to:
- Acknowledge importance of user studies in the design process of websites
- Learn the basics of usability studies on websites
- Learn about discounted usability methods
- Prepare protocol for usability testing of a website
- Learn to design usability study of a website
- Employ usability tools for conducting usability studies
- Conduct a full fledged usability study
This program will cover the following:
- The basic tenets of usability
- Concepts, guidelines and theories of usability
- Usability Methods
- Usability Tools
- Techniques to understand the target user of websites
- Essentials of conducting a usability study
- Data Collection in usability studies
- Data Analysis
- Reporting the usability findings
- Planning and conducting a live usability study
This program is aimed for
- Senior level managers/entrepreneurs who would like to develop insights on user-centricity of websites and applications enabling them to make leadership decisions on website design
- Junior/middle level executives who are responsible for monitoring the success of organizational websites and recommend changes
- Website developers who would like to understand the users perspectives of the websites designed
- Executives in organizations that provide e-governance, e-health, Digital Library services will also find use of this program.
The program will provide conceptual knowledge through lecture as well as a practical experience to the participants through a mix of demonstrations, role playing, group activities and hands on exercises.
Residential - Rs.37500 + Service Tax 12.36%
Non Residential - Rs.30000 + Service Tax 12.36%
20 June 2012
Prof. Anindita Paul