Dr. Sreekumar is an adjunct professor in Humanities and Liberal Arts in Management at Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode (IIMK). He is the Chief Information Officer of IIMK. He has the distinction of leading the Library and the Learning Resources team at IIMK to bag the first Wiley Award 2015 for IIM Kozhikode, for "Digitally Transformed Academic Library in India". Dr. Sreekumar is the Chief Architect of the Indian Business Museum at IIMK which was inaugurated and dedicated to the nation, in 2013. During 2007-2008, he served on sabbatical as Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Computer Science & Information Technology of the University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Dr. Sreekumar has received the AIMS International Outstanding Adjunct Management Faculty Award - 2016. During 2014, Dr. Sreekumar was awarded the prestigious Sir Ratan Tata Scholarship to Harvard University (Harvard Business School & Harvard South Asia Institute) for advanced research in Indian Business History. He is a fellow of the South Asia Institute of the Harvard University. He was a Fulbright Scholar (Information Science and Technology) at the University of Maryland and at the NIH, Bethesda. He holds a Ph.D. from the University of Calicut. He is a gold medalist of the University of Kerala for his Bachelor's Degree and obtained his Masters Degree from the University of Madras, and later he qualified the UGC Lectureship. He has received several awards and honours for his contributions in the field of Library, Information Science & Technology, and Management Education. At IIMK Dr. Sreekumar leads several national and international projects and programmes. Dr. Sreekumar sits in the editorial boards of several national and international journals on digital libraries and information science. He is also a peer-reviewer and referee to some of the reputed and indexed journals. He is a serving member of the Academic Advisory Boards of EBSCO Information Services USA and the Cambridge University Press UK. He is a research guide in the Bharatiar University. Dr. Sreekumar is the UNESCO Coordinator of the Greenstone Software for the South Asia Region. A widely traveled professional, Dr. Sreekumar has conducted courses, seminars and workshops in the USA, UK, Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, Ethiopia, Austria, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Philippines, Thailand , Dubai, and People’s Republic of China.
- Ph.D in LIS, University of Calicut
- University of Maryland , USA (Fulbright Fellowship)
- MEDLINE Department, National Library of Medicine, USA (Fulbright Fellowship)
- UGC (NET) Lectureship in LIS
- MLIS, University of Madras
- BLISc., University of Kerala (University First and Gold Medalist of the University of Kerala, and the Kerala Library Association)
- B.Sc., University of Kerala
Awards & Honours
- Nominated to the South Asia Advisory Board, Cambridge University Press (2017)
- AIMS International Outstanding Adjunct Management Faculty Award (2016)
- Nominated to the International Advisory Board, EBSCO Information Services, USA (2015)
- Dr. G. Devarajan Endowment Best Professional Award, University of Kerala (2015)
- Sir Ratan Tata Scholarship to Harvard University (Harvard Business School & Harvard South Asia Institute) for advanced research in Indian Business History (2014)
- AIMS International Outstanding Professional Award 2013
- Best Research Paper Award, International Conference on "Digital Libraries and Knowledge Organization (ICDK 2011)", 14 February 2011, MDI, Gurgaon (http://www.mdi.ac.in/icdk/Home.html).
- MANLIBNET Award (2008) - (Management Libraries Network).
- Salzburg Scholarship (2007)(http://www.salzburgseminar.org), Austria , March 2007
- UNESCO Invited Speaker, WSIS Follow-up Conference on Access to Information and Knowledge for Development, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, organized by the UN Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) (2006)
- Hewlett-Packard Scholarship for DSpace User Meet and the Open Repositories 2006 at the University of Sydney, Australia (2006)
- Winner, ASIST SIG III International paper contest (2005)
- SATKAL Award (2004) (SATKAL Trust, Punjabi University)
- Fulbright Fellowship (1996-97) at the University of Maryland at College Park; and at the National Library of Medicine, NLM (NIH), USA (http://www.fulbright-india.org) .
- Gold Medal - University First for BLISc - University of Kerala
- Gold Medal - Kerala Library Association
Projects & Consultancy
- Member, Technical Advisory Committee, National Mission on Libraries, Ministry of Culture, Government of India.
- Member, Technical Advisory Committee, All IIMs Union Catalogue, Sponsored by IIM Bangalore.
- Consultant, Planman Technologies, for a large scale digitization project of the National Library of Australia.
- A Single-Sign on digital library information system at the University of Malaya using open source softwares, open standards and open digital library technologies.
- Development of a state-of-art Institutional Repository at the Faculty of Computer Science and Information Technology, University of Malaya using DSpace Open Source Software.
- Digital Library in Management at IIMK, Ministry of HRD, Gov
- Electronic Access Control and E-Security Systems at IIM Kozhikode, Ministry of HRD, Govt. of India (2002)
- E-Learning Platform for doctors and the biomedical fraternity in India , funded by WHO (2002) ( http://www.medinfoguide.net/)
- AIMS E-Journal of the Association of Indian Management Schools (2003)
- Coir Board Information Portal for the Coir Board, Govt. of India (2005)
- Digital Library Consultancy: IIITMK Thiruvananthapuram, Coir Board Cochin , GITAM Engineering College Visakhapatnam , IMG Thiruvananthapuram
- Founding Member and Coordinator, IIM Library Consortium
- Chief Architect, IIMK's Institutional Repositories
( http://dspace.iimk.ac.in/; http://eprints.iimk.ac.in/)
- UNESCO Coordinator, Greenstone Digital Library Software Support Network for South Asia ( http://greenstonesupport.iimk.ac.in/)
- IIM Kozhikode (http://www.iimk.ac.in/) - 2008 - continuing
- Visiting Professor, University of Malaya, Malaysia - 2007-2008
- IIM Kozhikode (http://www.iimk.ac.in/) - 1997-2008
- TB Research Center (ICMR) Madras - 1992-1997
- RRL (CSIR) Thiruvananthapuram - 1981-1992
Coordination of Training Programmes / Workshops / Seminars, and Mentoring
- Invited Speaker, Global Conference on Emerging Trends in Business Librarianship - ETBL 2017, IIM Ahmedabad, 21-22 November 2017 (http://library.iima.ac.in/etbl2017/speakers.html).
- Panelist, South Asia Advisory Board, Cambridge University Press, 31 October 2017.
- Invited Speaker, 'On Being a Netizen in the 21st Century Knowledge Economy', Institute of Chartered Ship Brokers, Dubai, 20 August 2017.
- Delegate, Harvard South Asia Institute Workshop on the Liberal Arts in Higher Education, Ismaili Center, Dubai, 19-20 August 2017.
- Panelist, International Advisory Board, EBSCO Information Services, Los Angeles, USA, 05-06 February 2017.
- Panelist, Joint Conference of the Academic Business Library Directors (ABLD), the European Business School Librarians Group (EBSLG) and the Asia Pacific Business School Librarians Group (APBSLG), Li Ka Shing Library, Singapore Management University, 16th – 19th May 2016.
- Keynote Speaker, International Conference on Marching Beyond the Libraries: The Role of Social Media and Networking ICMBL - 2016, KIIT University, Bhubaneswar, India, 25-26 November, 2016.
- Invited Speaker, Global Conference on Emerging Trends in Business Librarianship - ETBL 2015, IIM Ahmedabad, 02-04 December 2015.
- Panelist, International Advisory Board, EBSCO Information Services, Los Angeles, 08-12 February 2015.
- Lead Faculty, National Workshop on “Digitization of Resources Using Open Source Software Greenstone”, 28 October – 3 November 2014, SNDT Women’s University, Mumbai.
- Programme Director, MDP on Trends in Management Education, conducted for the Faculty of Institute of Management in Kerala, University of Kerala, 21 November 2014.
- Sir Ratan Tata Scholar, Harvard Business School & Harvard South Asia Institute, September-October 2014, Harvard University, USA.
- Lead Faculty, National Workshop on “Open Access : Application in Higher Educational Institutions”, 13-14 June, 2014, MES’s institute of Management & Career Courses (IMCC), Pune.
- Keynote Speaker. “Landscaping the Future of Digital Libraries”, National Workshop on Digital Libraries Using Greenstone, 10 January 2014, Mudra Institute of Communications Ahmedabad (MICA).
- Invited lecture. “OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE FOR DIGITAL LIBRARIES : A CASE STUDY OF GREENSTONE”, 23 November 2013, Aravind Eye Hospital, Coimbatore.
- Invited lecture. “Developing Academic Resources for Achieving Excellence”, TEQIP Programme on “Digital Age Pedagogy”, 06 October 2013, Coimbatore Institute of Technology, Coimbatore
- Invited lecture. “Web Scale Discovery Services”, National JSTOR Forum Meet, 04 October 2013, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras.
- Invited lecture. “Web Scale Discovery Services at IIM Kozhikode”. National Workshop on “Web-scale Discovery Services: Transforming Access to Library Resources”, 10 September 2013, Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi.
- Faculty, Management Development Programme on “Enterprise Knowledge Management”, National Institute of Technology (NIT) Trichy, 22 April, 2013.
- Invited Speaker, “Designing and Developing Advanced Digital Libraries”, National Workshop on Emerging Issues in Information Management, KIIT University, Bhubaneswar, 12 April 2013.
- DRTC (ISI Bangalore) Centenary Celebration Lecture on “Enterprise Knowledge Management”, ISI Bangalore, 28 February, 2013.
- Keynote Speaker, “Current Trends in Information Management”, National Workshop on Information Management System in Higher Education, Christ University Bangalore, 28 February, 2013.
- Faculty, Management Development Programme on “Knowledge Management and Innovation”, National Institute of Technology (NIT) Trichy, 31 January, 2013.
- Faculty, “Advanced Digital Library Services”, National Institute for Technical Teachers Training & Research, Kalamassery, Kochi, 14 September 2012.
- Invited Lecture, "Current Trends in Information Management Strategies", Indian Institute of Management Raipur, Raipur, 28 September 2012.
- Faculty, “Digital Literacy and ICT in Education”, MDP on Leading Schools: Excellence in Education, IIM Kozhikode, 28 May, 2012.
- Faculty, “Manthan”, MDP on Leading Schools: Excellence in Education, IIM Kozhikode, May 28, 2012.
- Programme Coordinator and Faculty, MDP on “Publishing 2.0: Business Strategies for the 21st Century”, IIM Kozhikode, 21-23 May, 2012.
- Resource Person, “Digital Libraries & Open Access Movement”, UGC Refresher Course, Academic Staff College, University of Kerala, Thiruvananthapuram, 17 May, 2012.
- Resource Person, “ICT in Education”, National Workshop on ICT in Higher Education, Christ University, Thiruvananthapuram, 17 May, 2012.
- Invited Talk, “IIMK’s Tryst with Open Source Technologies: A Case Study”, Harvard Business School, Boston, April 23, 2012.
- Faculty, “National Training Course on Innovative E-Resources Management”, Institute for Nuclear Medicine & Allied Sciences (INMAS), Ministry of Defence Govt. of India, New Delhi, March 30, 2012.
- Keynote Speaker, “Advanced Digital Library Services”, National Conference on Innovative Library Services in the Digital Era, Dr. Mahalingam College of Engineering & Technology, Pollachi, 21 January 2012.
- Faculty, Public Library Skill Development Programme, National Mission on Libraries, National Knowledge Commission & Raja Rammohun Roy Library Foundation (RRRLF), Dr. Chenna Reddy Institute of Andhra Pradesh, Hyderabad, 30 January 2011.
- Keynote Speaker, “Advanced Digital Library Infrastructure” & Faculty, Pre-Conference Tutorial, National Conference on Recent Advances in Information Technology – READIT : 2011, Indira Gandhi Center for Atomic Research (IGCAR), Kalpakkam, 28 December 2011.
- Keynote Speaker, “Information Management Strategies for 21st Century”, National Conference on Strategies for Libraries in the Future, 7-9 December 2011, IIM Ahmedabad.
- Invited Speaker, “Digitally Literacy & ICT Enabled Teaching and Learning for Schools”, Pearson Education, 3 November 2011, Hotel Taj Gateway, Kozhikode.
- Keynote Speaker, “Institutional Repositories for Scholarly Knowledge Management in Academic and Research Institutions”, 14th National Convention on Knowledge, Library & Information Networking, 15-17 November 2011, Viswa-Bharati, Shanthiniketan, West Bengal.
- Inaugural Keynote Speaker, “The Changing Landscape of Scholarly Publishing”, National Conference on Knowledge Dissemination through Journal Publications, 28-30 September 2011, Christ University, Bangalore.
- Resource Person, Workshop on Digitization, All India Radio, Thriuvananthapuram, 12 September 2011.
- Resource Person, Workshop on Greenstone digital library software, International Conference on Libraries, Archives and Museums (I-CLAMS), Center for Human Research & Development Foundation, Philippines, 29-30 August 2011, CSB Hotel, Manila, Philippines.
- Invited Speaker, “Funding Options for Higher Education Abroad”, Workshop on International Edufair and Overseas Education, Kerala Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Pookot Campus, Wayanad, Kerala, 14 June 2011.
- Resource Person, Seminar on “Fulbright Programme Opportunities”, National Institute of Technology (NIT) Calicut, 8 June 2011.
- Invited Speaker, “Information and Knowledge Management Strategies”, National Seminar on Library 2.0 and Information Management, University of Calicut, 28 May 2011.
- Fulbright Alumni Delegate, Workshop on “Building Partnerships”, USIEF (Fulbright-Nehru Fellowships), USIEF Chennai, February 24-25, 2011.
- Chair, Session on “Information Management using Web 2.0/3.0 Technologies”, International Conference on “Digital Libraries and Knowledge Organization (ICDK 2011)”, 16 February 2011, MDI, Gurgaon.
- Resource Person, UNESCO Sponsored Workshop on “Digital Libraries”, International Conference on “Digital Libraries and Knowledge Organization (ICDK 2011)”, 14 February 2011, MDI, Gurgaon.
- Resource Person, “Knowledge Management”, 04 February 2011, Defence Services Staff College, Wellington.
- Keynote Speaker, “Digital Libraries and DL Initiatives at IIM Kozhikode”, UGC Symposium on “Digital Library Initiatives in India”, 24 January 2011, University of Madras.
- Keynote Speaker, “Digital Rights Management”, National Seminar on “Intellectual Property and Digital Rights Management“, National Institute of Technology, Calicut, 26-27 November 2010.
- Programme Director and Chief Faculty, Management Development Programme on 'E2.0 : Enterprise-wide Knowledge Management'. August 16-18, 2010. IIM Kozhikode.
- Keynote Speaker, 'Managing Consortia for Small Libraries', NACLIN-2010, DELNET, BITS-Pilani, Goa Campus, Goa, June 15-18, 2010.
- Faculty, 8-Day Workshop on Greenstone & KOHA, HealthNet Nepal, Katmandu, Nepal, 8-15 May 2010.
- Invited Speaker, 'Scientific Productivity and Research Impact Enhancement through Scholarly Journal Articles : The Open Access approach', National Workshop on Enhancing Quality in Research Publications, April 22, 2010, Christ University, Bangalore.
- Chief Faculty, 3-Day Workshop on KOHA Open Source ILMS Software, March 11-13, 2010. Dept. of Library & Information Science, University of Madras.
- Invited Speaker, Newspaper Digital Libraries, IFLA International Newspaper Conference, Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA) & IFLA, New Delhi, February 25-28, 2010
- Faculty, 'Library Development Programme', January 29-30, 2010, School of Management and Commerce, Ahmedabad University.
- Keynote Speaker, National Workshop on Building and Managing Digital Repository Using DSpace. January 30, 2010. Kadi Sarva Viswavidyalaya, Gandhinagar, Gujarat. (http://www.workshop.skpatel.org/keynotes.htm)
- Invited Speaker, 'Recent Advances in Information Science & Technology READIT-2009', December 29, 2009. IGCAR, Kalpakkam, Tamil Nadu.
- Workshop Director, 6-Day International Workshop on Greenstone Digital Library Software, IIM Kozhikode, India, 23-28 November 2009.
- Chief Faculty for the 5-Day National Workshop on DSpace jointly organized by HP India, INFLIBNET and the CUSAT Kochi, 20-24 April, 2009.
- Faculty for the Pre-Conference Tutorial on “Web Content Management Systems”, International CALIBER 2009, INFLIBNET/UGC, 25-27 February 2009, Pondicherry University (http://www.inflibnet.ac.in/caliber2009/speakers.html).
- Invited Speaker on “Open Source Technologies for Libraries”, National Workshop on Library 2.0, 5-6 February 2009, PRL, Ahmedabad.
- Chief Faculty, 4-Day Regional Workshop on Greenstone, University of Malaya, Malaysia, 12-15 May 2008.
- Chief Faculty, 3-Day Workshop on Greenstone for experts, UNECA/UNESCO, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia 5-7 May 2008.
- Chief Faculty, 5-Day Workshop on Greenstone for beginners, UNECA/UNESCO, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia 29 April – 03 May, 2008.
- Chief Faculty, 5-Day International Workshop on Greenstone, IIM Kozhikode, November 26 – December 01, 2008.
- Chief Faculty, International Workshop on Greenstone, by the UNESCO and the National Science Foundation (NSF) Sri Lanka at Colombo, 21-24 March 2007.
- Chair, Session on ‘Information Management’, International Conference on Libraries, Information and Society 2007, 26-27 June, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Chair, Session on ‘Institutional Repositories and Case Studies’, International Conference on Semantic Web and Digital Libraries (ICSD-2007), DRTC (ISI), Bangalore, India, 21-23, 2007
- The Chief Coordinator and co-faculty, International Workshop on Greenstone DL software supported by UNESCO and Government of India, at IIMK (November 27 – December 02, 2006).
- UNESCO Invited Faculty, Pre-Conference Tutorial on Greenstone Digital Library Software, ICDL 2006, TERI New Delhi, 05 December 2006.
- Expert/ Advisory Committee Member for several Universities/Institutions on Digital Libraries, Curriculum Development and on E-Learning Projects.
List of some of the Prominent Publications (total - over 50)
- Sreekumar M.G. (2018). Information Management and Marketing Strategies for Educational and Research Institutions in the Emerging Economies. [Manuscript under submission].
- Sunitha, T. and Sreekumar, M.G. (2013). Web-Scale Discovery Systems for Efficient Resource Discovery of E-Resources SALIS Journal pf Library and Information Science, Vol..5 (1),PP.55-68.
- Sreejaya, P. and Sreekumar, M.G. (2013), Challenges and opportunities in the development of a digital library: a case study of IIM Kozhikode digital library, SALIS Journal of Information Management and Technology .Vol. 4 (1), pp1-10.
- Sreekumar, M.G. (2012). ‘Strategies on e-resources management for smart information systems’. Annals of Library and Information Studies. V. 59. No. 3, pp. 155-169, 2012.
- Sunitha, T and Sreekumar, M.G. (2012), 'A Single-Sign-On and a Remote Login Solution to Library E-Journals and E-Resources', In: ‘Digital Libraries and Knowledge Organization’, Macmillan. New Delhi. pp. 61-69. (Award winning Paper)
- Sreekumar, M.G. (2011), “Institutional Repositories for Scholarly Knowledge Management in Academic and Research Institutions”, Proceedings of the 14th National Convention on Knowledge, Library & Information Networking, 15-17 November 2011, Viswa-Bharati, Shanthiniketan, West Bengal.
- Sreekumar, M.G. (2010). “Newspaper Digital Libraries, News-Clipping Services and Long Term Archiving Using Greenstone”, Proceedings of the IFLA International Newspaper Conference, Indira Gandhi National Center for Arts (IGNCA) & IFLA, February 25-28, New Delhi, India. Pp. 150-159. 2010.
- Jayan C Kurian, Sreekumar, M.G., Dion Hoe-Lian Goh, Diljit Singh, Abrizah Abdullah, and Joy Lynn Wheeler. (2008). “An Architecture for Efficient Resource Discovery with Metadata Harvesting in a Multidisciplinary Distributed Repository”. The International Journal of Knowledge, Culture and Change Management, Vol. 8, 2008. http://m08.cgpublisher.com/proposals/429
- Sreekumar, M.G. and Nabeel M.K.(2008). “Ethical Issues in Biomedical E-Publishing”. Proceedings of the Second Bioethics Conference, 6-8 December 2007, Bangalore, India. (http://nbc.ijme.in/viewabstract.php?id=145)
- Sreekumar, M.G. (2008). “Open Access: The New Frontier Connecting the Learning Commons through Hassle-free and Seamless Scholarly Communication”. World Digital Libraries 1(1): 61–75. 2008. (Proceedings of the World Universities Forum Conference, 31 January – 2 February 2008, Davos, Siwtzerland).
- Sreekumar, M.G. (2008). “Greenstone Open Source Digital Library Software: Feasibility, Features, Functionalities and the Futures”. Proceedings of the 2nd Special Library Conference (SLib2008), 18-20 February 2008, Petronas, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Sreekumar, M.G. (2008). “Open Source Web Content Management Technologies for Libraries”, Journal of Information Science and Technology, 1 (2): 64-90. 2008.
- Sreekumar, M.G. et al. (2007), “Institutional Repositories for Knowledge Management in Academic and Research Institutions”, Proceedings of the International Conference on Semantic Web & Digital Libraries, ICSD-2007, 21-23, February 2007.
- Sreekumar, M.G. and Sunitha, T. (2006), “Community Acceptance of E–Journals as a Robust Print Surrogate and Scholarship Supplement: The IIMK Experience”, Proceedings of the International Conference on Digital Libraries ICDL 2006, 5-8 December 2006, New Delhi, 2006.
- Sreekumar, M.G. "Information Management Strategies for Sustainable National Development". WSIS Follow-up Conference on Access to Information and Knowledge for Development. March 27-31, 2006, UN Economic Commission for Africa, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Sreekumar, M.G. "Building a Multimedia Digital Library of Audio/Video Resources Using Open Source Software and Open Digital Library Standards". Sardar Jaginder Singh Ramdevon Festschrift Volume. 2005, USA.
- Sreekumar, M.G. and T. Sunitha. "Seamless Aggregation and Integration of Diverse Datastreams: Essential Strategies for building Practical Digital Libraries and Electronic Information Systems". International Information and Library Review, Vol. 37, 2005,pp.383-393. (Winner, ASIST SIG III International Paper Contest 2005).
- Sreekumar MG and Gopinath Saji, "The shrinking supply chains of information", Proceedings of the Workshop on Digital Libraries, USEFI/DRTC/University of Mysore, March 12-16 2001, paper K,pp.1-11.
- Sreekumar MG, "User issues in the electronic information environment", Proceedings of the Workshop on Digital Libraries, USEFI/DRTC/University of Mysore, March 12-16 2001, paper L,pp.1-11.
Professional/Editorial Contributions to Journals/Publications
- Member, Editorial Board, World Digital Libraries: An International Journal., TERI, New Delhi (http://bookstore.teriin.org/journal_inside.php?material_id=477&qty=1)
- Member, Editorial Board, Malaysian Journal of Library and Information Science (http://ejum.fsktm.um.edu.my/VolumeListing.aspx?JournalID=3).
- Peer Reviewer, DESIDOC Journal of Library & Information Technology, DESIDOC (DRDO), New Delhi.
- Peer Reviewer, Annals of Library Science and Documentation. NISCAIR (CSIR), New Delhi.
Professional Visits Abroad
|1. USA (1996-97, and 2003, 2012, 2014, 2015)
||2. United Kingdom
|4. Hong Kong
||8. New Zealand
||12. Sri Lanka
Membership in Professional Bodies
- American Society for Information Science & Technology (ASIST)
- Kerala Library Association (KLA)
- Madras Library Association (MALA)
- Computer Society of India (CSI)
- Association of Asia Pacific Business School Librarians (APBSL)
- Management Libraries Network (MANLIBNET)
- Society for Information Science (SIS)